AKC Breeder of Merit
Some of our Member Breeders are proud to have applied and been accepted in the AKC Breeder of Merit Program. This program that was established in 2012 is AKC’s attempt to separate out responsible breeders from those who just produce puppies for sale. While most of our breeders do qualify some have chosen not to apply. It’s a personal decision and has nothing to do with the quality of bassets a Member Breeder produces.
According to the American Kennel Club:
The Breeder of Merit Program honors breeder/exhibitors' dedication and hard work as they continue to produce dogs that are healthy, capable, and beautiful.
The foundation of today's AKC, Breeders of Merit have the power to influence, guide, and teach future breeders, exhibitors, and all purebred dog owners.
AKC Press Release:
-- Recognition Program Celebrates & Rewards Dedicated Breeders --
Since its founding in 1884, the American Kennel Club (AKC) has served all who are committed and dedicated not only to the sport of purebred-dogs but to all dogs. As the AKC has grown and expanded, the reach and influence of core-exhibitor breeders has expanded as well. With those breeders in mind, AKC has created the new Breeder of Merit program. It proudly honors breeder/exhibitors’ dedication and hard work as they continue to produce dogs that are healthy, capable, and beautiful. The foundation of today’s AKC, Breeders of Merit have the power to influence, guide, and teach future breeders, exhibitors, and all purebred dog owners.
The Breeder of Merit program allows the American Kennel Club to celebrate our dedicated, passionate breeders who truly are the backbone of the sport and the foundation of our organization," said AKC’s Chief Operating Officer John Lyons. "Our Breeders of Merit are committed to both improving their breed through health testing and selective breeding programs, and proving their breed through achievements in the ring and the field. They are special and will be emulated by new breeders entering the sport. Being a successful breeder does not come easy. Years of hard work, vision, and a willingness to do the right thing are required to be successful. Our Breeders of Merit have these qualities and deserve to be recognized.
AKC Breeder of Merit Requirements:
• Has a history of at least 5 years involvement with AKC events.
• Earned Conformation, Performance or Companion event titles on a minimum of 4 dogs they bred/co-bred.
• Member of an AKC club.
• Certifies that applicable health screens are performed on your breeding stock as recommended by the Parent Club.
• Demonstrates a commitment to ensuring 100% of the puppies produced are AKC registered.
The Breeder of Merit Program does not imply a recommendation of a breeder by AKC.
Breeder of Merit Program in the News
This memo was sent out in an email by the AKC on May 31, 2017. Criteria for the different levels of BOM are listed below. Breeders must apply for this special BOM recognition and they must have met the following:
◦ Have qualified and enrolled as a Breeder of Merit
◦ Can provide proof of Parent Club-required health testing on litters
◦ Have met their commitment to ensure that all their puppies get registered
* AKC event titles only. Titles that require you to submit an application to apply to the dog’s record are not counted.